Furnace Primary School Achievements August 2016 – February 2017
• August: we reviewed our school rules and agreed T.C.L.S which sets out:
o T = how we expect to be treated and to treat others and our school
o C = how we expect to communicate with others
o L = how we will approach learning
o S = how we will keep ourselves and others safe
• September: our new Head Teacher Ms McIlroy met with all parents individually to discuss pupils, their progress and next steps.
• September: we learned about coding, made movie trailers and programmes drones with Steven Simpson of Argyll & Bute Council.
• September: We started a new type of monthly newsletter, written by pupils, called “Furnace Fizz”.
• September: we were awarded our Fourth Eco Flag!
• October: We introduced a new type of ‘Learning Journey’ which allows pupils to comment on and assess their learning in numeracy, literacy and health and wellbeing.
• October: we joined the local library and have monthly visits to Lochgilphead Library.
• November: Nicola in P7 took part in a ‘Children in Scotland’ project with the Mid Argyll Pupil Council sharing pupil views on school governance.
• November: P6 & P7 pupils attended a ‘Digital Leaders’ day at Inveraray PS.
• November: P3,4,5 pupils had outdoor learning at Ardkinglas ‘Gruffalo Trail’.
• November: we took part in a quiz against local community members Pupils v Grown-Ups St Andrew’s Day Quiz (the pupils won!).
• December: we completed an enterprise topic in December and made crafts to sell at the Christmas Fair at Minard Village Hall.
• December: we had our Christmas service at Cumlodden Church and performed a nativity.
• January: we visited Kelvingrove Art Galleries in Glasgow.
• January: We held a Burns Supper at Furnace on 25th Januayr 2017 with lots of visitors including local neightbpirs and parents.
• Janaury: we started a new parent and toddler group, meeting every Thursday from 1.15pm to 3pm.
• January: P6 & P7 pupils took part in the Burns poetry competition with Inveraray Primary and Marie won the P6 prize!
• February: Nicola in P7 started a film making project with the Mid Argyll Pupil Council.
• February: we were invited by the local bowling club to try out indoor bowling and they gave a generous donation to the Furnace Primary Parent Council funds.
• February: we were invited to come aling to Tighnaburiach Primary’s ‘forest schools’ for the day.
• March: World Book Day activities
• March: Sponsored walk for Parent Council Funds
• March: workshops with Andy Craven on first aid, problem solving and archery.
• March: taking part in ‘Beyond the Panda’ workshops with Minard pupils.
• March: taking part in the Mid Argyll Music Festival.